Craft Your Own Delightful Foaming Hand Soap In Five Super Simple Steps

Published July 18, 2024

The advent of foaming hand soap began only 20 years ago in 1999 from developments made by the SC Johnson company. Since then, the popularity of air-infused hand soap has exploded.

The benefits of using foaming hand soap over its liquid counterpart are numerous. Individuals prefer using foam to create a lovely rich lather for the hands; a characteristic liquid soap cannot copy. Washing hands with foaming soap also use about 16% less water when compared to liquid soap.

While one may consider Bath and Body Works the premier foaming hand soap retailer, crafting your unique soap with personalized divine aromas is much easier than expected. With a literal handful of ingredients, you can create your own.

However, if you decide to go the DIY route, be sure to pick up a foaming soap dispenser before navigating the soap-making business. Ironically, foaming hand soap also sits in the bottle as a liquid, but a specialized air chamber aerates the liquid before being pushed out of the nozzle. In other words, without one of these specific dispensers, you will end up with another bottle of liquid hand soap.

That said, let’s get started.

A typical foaming hand soap recipe only three main ingredients:

  • Water
  • Liquid Castile Soap
  • Essential/Carrier Oils

Step One: Fill Your Dispenser With Water

When you receive your foaming soap dispenser, thoroughly clean the interior and exterior. Don’t let germs or debris from manufacturing or packaging tarnish your project before you even begin. Once the bottle is clean, add filtered water until 70% of the bottle is full. Other ingredients will use the remaining 30%.

Step Two: Add Castile Soap

Typically made from olive oil, Castile Soap is a plant-oil byproduct that is non-toxic and biodegradable. As an ingredient, Castile Soap is gentle on the skin and a powerful cleanser. Add two tablespoons of the stuff to the dispenser.

Step Three: Add Your Essential Oils

Aside from the famous foaming action, this soap is known for its delightful, fragrant, perfume-like aromatics and other cleansing qualities. These traits infuse into the liquid via way of essential oils. If selecting one oil, add ten drops to your soap dispenser. If choosing two, add five drops of each.

Here are ten aromatic combinations to please your body and soul:

  • Lavender + Vetiver
  • Bergamot + Lavender
  • Sweet Marjoram + Orange
  • Rosemary + Peppermint
  • Lemon + Tea Tree
  • Clary Sage + Frankincense
  • Lime + Black Pepper
  • Juniper Berry + Frankincense
  • Cardamom + Lemongrass
  • Cedarwood + Rose

Step Four: Consider Adding Carrier Oil

Carrier oils include almond oil, coconut oil, and olive oil. These oils are not distinctly necessary, but their inclusion does bolster the moisturizing qualities of your soap. Carrier oils are perfect for those in dryer climates. A teaspoon will be plenty if you decide to add any.

Step Five: Mix!

Step five only requires you to shake to combine your foaming hand soap ingredients in those few steps. We suggest 45 seconds to 1 minute shaking and rotating to ensure everything is well mixed.

With this newfound knowledge at your disposal, feel free to craft your soap with distinct cleansing powers, moisturizing abilities, and a seemingly endless number of smells. Enjoy!